How to apply
The CMU MSIT-VLIS degree program shares admissions with the CMU MSE degree program. The on-line application website is available September 1st - January 15th at this VLIS application link. All applicants must use the on-line application website. Additional off-line material (such as transcripts) are sent to the appropriate address below.
Read the following instructions carefully and make certain that you have met all requirements before you submit your application. All this material is submitted via the on-line application website.
The MSIT-VLIS program does not accept Spring admissions.
- Prepare a Statement of Purpose. Type or print neatly a concise one- or two-page statement in this format:
- Part I: Briefly state your objective in pursuing a professional graduate degree in MSIT-VLIS. Tell us if you have a particular reason for applying to this degree.
- Part II: Describe your background in fields particularly relevant to your objective. List here any relevant academic, industrial or commercial experience.
- Part III: Include any additional information you wish to supply to the Admissions Committee.
- Submit transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, even if no degree was granted. Transcripts should be in an official sealed envelope. The transcript may be mailed with your application or sent directly from the institution to the admissions coordinator address below.
- Upload your current resume, including a summary of research & industrial experience and a list of publications (if any). Include copies of any publications (in English only) that you may have.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if required.
- A foreign language test - Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - if required.
- Upload three letters of recommendation. The admissions committee prefers, but does not require, letters from both academia and industry. People who recommend you should know you relatively well and should be able to discuss the quality of your work. Three recommendation forms are provided in the application form. You may photocopy these forms if necessary.
- Submit the application. Send any off-line material to:
Institute for Software Research
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
5107 Wean Hall
Pittsburgh, PA 15213|
Please make certain that all items listed above and any other materials not included with your application reach the Admissions Committee by the deadline.